Five things that can improve your resume today
It is not easy to find a job these days and it will be even harder if you don't have a good resume. Unfortunately a lot of people are out on the job market these days with a resume that really doesn't do a good job of selling themselves. The good news is that there are some pretty easy things that you can do to fix this. Following are five things that can improve your resume today.
- The biggest thing that you can do to improve your resume is to make sure that you are using keywords on your resume. This is something that a lot of people still aren't doing but it is critical that you do. These days many companies are using software to screen resumes. This software looks for keywords that are relevant to the job in question; any resumes that don't have them will be discarded. You can find the keywords that they are looking for in the job description.
- The second big thing that you can do to improve your resumes is to make it easy to scan. If they aren't using software to screen resumes then they will do it by quickly scanning your resume, they only read the ones that look like they meet the requirements. That means your resume needs to be easy for somebody to scan it for information. This is done by using bullet points and leaving lots of white space.
- When you are writing your resume you want to make sure that you are listing accomplishments rather than duties. They don't really care what your duties were at your previous job they care what you actually accomplished. Therefore you are going to want to word what you did as accomplishments rather than duties.
- Another thing that you should do to improve your resume is to actually include information that backs up what you claimed in your accomplishments. Rather than telling them that you introduced a new procedure that saved the company money tell them how much money your new procedure saved the company. What you want to do is to show potential employers how hiring you can benefit them, this is done by showing them how you can make their company more profitable
- It should go without saying that you want to make sure that you proofread your resume but apparently it does need to be said. You can't rely on spell check to make sure that there are no errors. In particular you want to pay attention to errors in grammar. It is also a good idea to have another person read your resume to check it for errors. A lot of times it is hard for us to spot our own errors in something that we have written, having a pair of fresh eyes take a look at it can really help.